Most people may find the idea of getting a root canal intimidating because there are many misconceptions about the treatment being excruciatingly painful. Contrary to the myth, a root canal should not be painful when done correctly and is nothing to be afraid of.
Root canal therapy reduces discomfort, improves a tooth’s health, and avoids tooth extraction. Understanding the basics of a root canal procedure is essential while getting ready for it. The pulp chamber of every tooth contains the tooth pulp. The tooth pulp consists of the nerve and blood vessels of the tooth. You need to know that an infected tooth pulp can lead to immense pain and discomfort. Some of the probable causes of infections are – a chip or crack on the tooth’s surface or severe dental decay.
The infected pulp is painlessly removed during a root canal procedure, and the tooth is then cleansed, sterilized, filled, and sealed with gutta-percha (a rubber-like substance). The tooth is then covered with a filling or a crown to restore its function and protect it from mouth irritants. Even if the procedure won’t hurt a lot, it’s best to get ready before heading to the dental office, to ensure that both the process and the recovery are as painless as possible.
How To Prepare For The Root Canal Treatment?
The best dentist in Irving has come up with tips to prepare for root canal treatment.
- Tobacco and alcohol should be avoided 24 hours before the treatment. The local anesthetic that the dentist will inject into the gums during the treatment may not respond well to alcohol and smoke.
- If the patient isn’t advised by the dentist not to, eating food a couple of hours before the procedure will make recovery much more comfortable. This is because an anesthetic will be injected into the gums during the procedure, which may cause the patient’s mouth to feel numb hours afterward and make it difficult for him/her to eat.
- Most dentists advise patients to take painkillers a few hours before the treatment. This will help to reduce pain and inflammation.
- There is no such thing as too many inquiries while visiting a dental office. It’s essential to understand the full process and know what is actually happening in its entirety. Also, get a clear idea of what to eat after the treatment.
- The human body recovers faster when at rest. Make sure you get plenty of sleep because most “repairs” are carried out while a person is sleeping off. This will help you recover from the procedure as quickly as possible.
We hope that going through this blog has helped you know the tips to follow while preparing for root canal treatment. Give us a call today to know more. Book an appointment with the Dental Artistry Of Irving if you are looking for the best root canal treatment in Irving, TX.